- 2 lbs of grass-fed beef cheek meat
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of yellow onion - medium dice
- 1 carrot - medium dice
- 1 celery stalk - medium diced ~ 1 cup
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup of grass-fed beef bone broth
- 2 cups of red wine
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Prepare the beef cheeks: cut off any large, fatty membrane. Pat dry, then salt and pepper to season.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or pot. Sear the beef cheeks on each side until golden browned. Remove beef cheeks onto a plate and hold for later.
- Add more olive oil as needed then add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook for around 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Pour mixture into a slow cooker and place beef cheeks on top.
- Pour the wine in a pan to deglaze the pan. Turn heat up and bring to a simmer. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the wine to the slow cooker as well as the bone broth and bay leaves. Then cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. until the beef cheeks are fork tender. Taste broth and add desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or shred up the cheek meat and make tacos!